ELDER KEVIN T. SMITH

ELDER KEVIN T. SMITH

Tuesday, January 15, 2013

January's Have a Hero

Here's is Kevin's "Have a Hero" for the month of January! This months choice brought some joyful tears as I thought how great it was that Kevin would look for or seek out the positive qualities and strengths in his brother's. Here is in part what he said:
"This month my hero is Sean and Drew. I know that is kind of cheating, because it is two people, but you can't have one without the other. Let me tell you a little bit of why I chose them together,.......Sean and Drew are best friends. They include one another in much of what they do. They both have persevered a lot in their lives. Yet they both stay so happy, so positive, and are doing good things. They are not content with being mediocre, they are taking steps to excel........It takes so much courage to run for office. It takes so much faith to run for office. And yet they both tuned out what Satan was trying to tell them, and they pursued some dreams of theirs. Rejection is hard. And running for an office at school would take so much courage, yet they had enough to step out and show the world, but more importantly themselves that they are leaders, and they want responsibility. I respect and admire both of them for their courage........They are that personable. But probably the biggest reason I chose them is because of the amount of love they have in their hearts. Each time they write to me I can feel their love for me. They have love for their friends and fellow men by trying to help them receive Jesus Christ's Gospel. They love one another. It is so apparent. For brothers to be as close as they are, they've got to be special people. And they are. All the fighting and quarreling and contention that unfortunately brothers have one with another hasn't mattered with them. They have looked past the times that they have fought, and are the best of friends. It is so great.........Sean is smart. Wicked smart. But just because God gave you a gift doesn't mean you are hot stuff. Sean understands that. He doesn't boast of himself. Nor does he throw away the talents he was given. He uses them....... Sean has also overcome some rough things in his life. Yet he has been able to overcome them because he has let the gospel sink in. I can't count how many times I went into Sean's room to tell him goodnight and I saw him praying to God, or reading his Patriarchal Blessing, or highlighting and feasting on the Book of Mormon. The reason he is the man he is today is because he loves God, and was willing to do the things he learned in primary. What a good example he has been for me as my younger brother. Drew. There are not many people in this world like Drew. Drew is the type of person that would literally give someone the shirt he was wearing if they needed it. If he can make someone happy, he really tries to do it......... He is always thinking about others before himself, just like Christ did........He has so much love in his heart, he just wants everyone to love one another. Drew was always willing to go out and throw a ball with me. Even if I knew he really didn't feel like it, just because he loved me he would. I love Sean and Drew. What I said about Sean definitely goes for Drew as well. And what I said about Drew goes for Sean as well. They are some of the best examples I have ever had in my life. I know I wasn't the best older brother I could have been for them, yet I know they have forgiven me, and love me for who I am. I don't know how I got so lucky to be sent to the Earth with such amazing younger brothers. I would not be anywhere near the person I am today without Sean and Drew. Their examples to me have meant so much to me. I really look up to those two buggers. When I think of them today, I truly do see them as my heroes."

No comments:

Post a Comment